Friday, September 11, 2009

Rooster's

Visited on Saturday, September 5th with Scott and Christie

IMG_1986

Ben's Review
Scott had been trying to get us to go to Rooster's for awhile now, so we could enjoy his new picnic table in his backyard. We finally made it last Sunday on Labor Day weekend. Scott and Christie live close to Roosters, so we drove over there with beer in tow and walked over to Rooster's.

Rooster's is a tiny place, clearly intended for takeout but they do have a couple small tables. The menu on the website is not small, but in reality you only go to Roosters for a couple of their specialties - pulled pork sandwiches, bbq ribs, and fried chicken. After we ordered Scott and I played Space Invaders at one of those old-school video games that is set in the table.

IMG_1988

IMG_1989

IMG_1991

I was starving by the time we got over there, so I went with the large pulled pork sandwich combo, which comes with coleslaw and fries. I was contemplating the Memphis style sandwich, that comes with coleslaw ON the sandwich, but I figured I could just put some of my coleslaw on top if I wanted (turns out I did). The large sandwich is completely overkill. It comes with an absurd amount of pork, I bet a quarter pound of pork fell out of my sandwich, and it still had tons of pork to spare. I ate the rest of the pork mixed with coleslaw and fries, which was a great way to clean my plate. The fries were pretty good, but they didn't retain their heat very well. The coleslaw was good, but nothing special.

IMG_1996
(Oops, I forgot to actually take a pic of Ben's sandwich unwrapped. See below, and then add a bunch of meat)

We finished up our sandwiches outside at the picnic table and hung out for a bit before heading inside. We sampled several different beers as Scott and I had stocked up at 1st Grand Ave liquors the day before. We also admired Scott's in-progress kegerator for his homebrew. All in all a great Sunday night.
  • Service: Not much service at Rooster's, cause it's not needed. Order your food and move on. :)
  • Food: Excellent pulled pork with decent side dishes. Scott also has enjoyed the fried chicken in the past.
  • Drinks: Some canned sodas, not much else, Rooster's is a BYOB dinner.
  • Ambiance: The ambiance at Rooster's is whatever you make it. I'm guessing you are usually there by yourself as you wait for your food, so it can be whatever you want it to be :)
  • Price: The pulled pork combos range from $7-$9 for the combos, Erin's and my meal was an even $18. Not bad for a huge meal.
  • Convenience: Plenty of on-street parking on Randolph and surrounding streets, and I would guess it's not typically a long wait.
Erin's Review
Well, I don't have a ton to say about Rooster's.... we had a lovely walk there from Scott's house, they made our food fairly quickly, but not so quickly that it was apparent that it had been sitting out for awhile, so that was good. While we were waiting, a piece of French Silk Pie caught my eye, and I thought "it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine".

I got the small pork sandwich with mild sauce. It was very good. I'm not a huge pulled pork fan - it's good, but not something I crave or anything, so I'm probably not the best judge. I enjoyed the fries and didn't eat the coleslaw, so I can't really rate that. I ate a few onion rings that Scott had, and those were quite good as well.

IMG_2001

IMG_1994

The pie was the best part of the meal for me :) That and the mango drink that Scott provided me. Yum!

IMG_1992

IMG_1999

If you're into BBQ, stop on over for a solid meal.

IMG_1987

Deets
Rooster's BBQ
979 Randolph Ave
St. Paul